Who are the stakeholders in the natural and organic foods industry and who has the most power, interest and influence? Natural and Organic industry stakeholders are individuals, groups, or companies that affect or are affected by the industry. There are major and minor stakeholders in this fast-growing industry. Key stakeholders are individuals or entities that potentially have the most influence over the industry or are those who may be most affected by the industry.
When identifying stakeholders it is necessary to categorize stakeholders. Any individual or entity meeting one or more of the criteria below can be identified as an industry stakeholder.
- The person or entity should be directly or indirectly affected by the industry.
- The person or entity should have major influence on the industry.
- The person or entity should have special skills or capabilities that contributes to the growth of the industry.
- The person or organization can potentially benefit from industry growth or are in a position to resist growth
An analysis of stakeholders is beyond the scope of this discussion. An analysis of stakeholders would include a stakeholder register categorizing or grouping stakeholders, and then assessing the level of impact each may have based on their expectations, power, influence, and involvement in the industry. Moreover, it would include a power/interest matrix to illustrate the relative power and interest of each stakeholder. The matrix would also illustrate a stakeholder management plan.
Stakeholders in the Natural and Organic foods industry include
- Agricultural Processors
- Organic Trade Associations
- Business development specialists
- Farm product producers and suppliers
- Fiber and textile producers, suppliers and distributors
- Food service
- Genetic Analysis specialists
- Industry suppliers
- Ingredient suppliers
- Legal/Regulatory entities
- Market/Industry researchers
- Organic fiber manufacturers
- Packaging suppliers
- Personal care product producers, suppliers, and distributors
- Pet food and care product producers, suppliers, and distributors
- Product development experts
- Restaurants and chefs
Key Stakeholders in the industry include the following publicly-traded companies. Note that the list is not complete and that the company HAIN owns several of the companies listed.